For those of us who have nut sensitivities or allergies, or those who simply don’t want to eat a lot of nuts, it can be really hard to find whole-food, plant-based (WFPB) recipes that don’t contain nuts or lots of oil. Sure, we can just eat sauces with garlic and tomato etc. but it sucks to miss out on creamy sauces. And let’s face it, most healthy vegan dessert recipes contain mountains of nuts or nut butter, but who wants to miss out on desserts?!
I’m fairly new to nut-free WFPB recipes and found it hard at first, so I thought I’d start sharing some of my tried and tested favourites so far. Feel free to send in any you have too! I will keep adding to the list as I find more.
I’ve found sunflower seeds to be a great substitute in dessert recipes. If a recipes calls for nuts or nut butter, sub in sunflower seeds. You don’t have to make or buy sunflower butter, just blend the seeds with the rest of the blended ingredients. I find adding a teaspoon or so of cinnamon is a good idea too as it balances out the chalkiness of the seeds. (To get the equivalent the recipe calls for of nut/seed butter, use about twice as much of the unblended seeds. So if you need 1/4 cup of nut/seed butter, use 1/2 cup unblended seeds.)
Creamy Cauliflower Sauce (sooo good!)
· 1/2 yellow onion
· 3 cloves of garlic
· 3 cups of chopped cauliflower
· 1 cup soya mylk (or plant mylk of choice)
· 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
· 2 tbsp nooch
· 1 tbsp tamari
· 2 tsp lemon juice
· 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Sauté onion, garlic, and cauliflower until soft.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Serve on steamed veggies, pasta, as a topping for lasagna etc. or just eat it right out of the blender as it’s so delicious!
Sweet Potato Frosting
• 1 cup cooked sweet potato (no skin)
• 3/4 cups dates (chopped small if not using medjools)
• 1/2 cup avocado
• 1/4 cup plant milk
• 2 – 3 tbsp cocoa powder
• 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Cook the sweet potato in the oven or microwave with the skins on
- Once cooked and cooled, remove the potato skin (can be added to another recipe to avoid wasting it)
- Blend all the ingredients together in a high-speed blender or food processor
Goes really well with this healthy chocolate cake!
Revolution in Bloom (This recipe works without the onion powder too.)